Monday, January 25, 2010

WHAT ARE SOME ASPECTS OF GOD’S GRACE & MERCY?

GOD’S GRACE IS OUR ONLY HOPE!
God puts no limit on the number of times we can come to him to obtain mercy, but we must come in order to obtain it, recognizing our need and asking him for help. This miracle of grace should inspire us to say, “What a gracious and merciful God you are!” If there is a recurring problem or difficulty in your life, continue to ask God for help, and be willing and ready to make changes in your attitude and behavior that will correct that situation.
Ephesians 1:7-8: He is so rich in kindness and grace that he purchased our freedom with the blood of his Son and forgave our sins. He has showered his kindness on us, along with all wisdom and understanding.

GOD’S GRACE MAKES OUR SALVATION POSSIBLE.
Grace is God’s voluntary and loving favor given to those he saves. We can’t earn salvation, nor do we deserve it. Without God’s grace, no person can be saved. To receive it, we must acknowledge that we cannot save our self, that only God can save us, and that our only way to receive this loving favor is by faith in Christ.

GOD’S GRACE SHOULD LEAD US TO SERVE OTHERS WITH LOVE. We become Christians through God’s unmerited grace, not as the result of any effort, ability, intelligent choice, or act of service on our part. However, out of gratitude for this free gift, we will seek to help and serve others with kindness, charity, and goodness, and not merely to please our self. While no action or work we do can help us obtain salvation, God’s intention is that our salvation will result in works of service.
Ephesians 4:12: A Christian’s responsibility is to equip God’s people to do his work and build up the church, the body of Christ.

GOD’S GRACE Grace is God’s voluntary and loving favor given to those he saves. We can’t earn salvation, nor do we deserve it. No religious, intellectual, or moral effort can gain it, because it comes only from God’s mercy and love. Without God’s grace, no person can be saved. To receive it, we must acknowledge that we cannot save our self, that only God can save us, and that our only way to receive this loving favor is by faith in Christ.

Grace is getting what you don’t deserve.

IN TIMES OF DISOBEDIENCE WE EXPERIENCE GOD’S MERCY.
David accepted God’s punishment, but he begged God not to discipline him in anger. Jeremiah also asked God to correct him gently and not in anger (Jeremiah 10:24). David recognized that if God treated him with justice alone and not with mercy, he would be wiped out by God’s wrath. Often we want God to show mercy to us and justice to everyone else. God, in his kindness, forgives us instead of giving us what we deserve.

Mercy is not getting what you deserve.

GOD’S MERCY DOES NOT COME AS A RESULT OF OUR WORTH.
We do nothing ourselves. God removes our filthy clothes (sins) and then provides us with new, clean, rich garments - the righteousness and holiness of God. All we need to do is repent and ask God to forgive us. When Satan tries to make you feel dirty and unworthy, remember that the clean clothes of Christ’s righteousness make you worthy to draw near to God.

PJ

1 comment:

  1. One thing that confuses me is the statement that we do not deserve God's salvation. It seems to me that if God wants to give us his grace that we do deserve it...he intends for us to deserve it. Where am I wrong there?

    I remember the desperation, panic, depression, and pain when I was going through the withdrawals of quitting alcohol. I prayed for an hour or more every night to turn my will over to God and for him to take away my suffering. At first I did not really understand the concept of turning my will over to God. I had always thought that God really wanted us to be independent and I felt guilty for asking God for anything. It took a few nights and just when I thought that God was not going to help me...I decided to give it one more try. I prayed fervently that night and after a while in a definite instant all my withdrawal symptoms left me. It was a personal miracle for me that left me both grateful and awed. I have been blessed with my sobriety and do not really suffer from cravings very often. I can directly relate to what you say about being willing to change our attitudes and behavior. God created the entire fabric of existence and when we stray from his will we make a tear in that fabric. It causes us to suffer until we mend it again...or if not the tear widens making our suffering and loneliness worse. That is my experience anyway.

    ReplyDelete